[pe2-image src=”https://lh4.ggpht.com/-uo9TfAkNzH0/TlDf8DZfcCI/AAAAAAAAAT4/KUL7KojMqUw/s144-o/11-Google%252520Chat%252520Plus.png” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/112707134052414816964/Labox#5643256555892600866″ caption=”Google Chat Plus” type=”image” alt=”11-Google Chat Plus.png” ]
As you can see from these two screenshots, I have my Yahoo! Messenger, Windows Live Messenger (f. MSN Messenger), and AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) messenger buddies added in my Google+ and Gmail chat (and Google Talk too). I also have my ICQ (I-Seek-You) and XMPP/Jabber contacts but not shown, in there as well.
[pe2-image src=”https://lh4.ggpht.com/-imjD4qsaRkg/TlDf6kI1J8I/AAAAAAAAAT4/qxfY-5os5Mc/s144-o/12-Google%252520Chat%252520Plus.png” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/112707134052414816964/Labox#5643256530321352642″ caption=”Google Chat Plus” type=”image” alt=”12-Google Chat Plus.png” ]
I am going to show you how to do just that. So stand up and go get a coffee or a snack as this is going to take a little bit longer than you are thinking of right now. (But it’s not hard at all…)
Get the tools that you need
Before you can do what I did, you first have to download a software. No worries, this is a well tested application, if you can read source code, it is a “Free/Libre Open-Source Software” or “FLOSS”, you can check how safe it is yourself.
- Download Psi+ here: code.google.com/p/psi-dev/ and install it.
[pe2-image src=”https://lh3.ggpht.com/-44tEt-w7w3A/TlDfzit80eI/AAAAAAAAAT4/vowaEYEi3Ts/s144-o/01-Psi-dev.png” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/112707134052414816964/Labox#5643256409681088994″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”01-Psi-dev.png” ]
- Once installed, run it and you should see this:
[pe2-image src=”https://lh5.ggpht.com/-AbL7JvZZ710/TlDfvDuQo-I/AAAAAAAAAT4/8ZRN3nIjx6M/s144-o/02-Account%252520Creation.png” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/112707134052414816964/Labox#5643256332641412066″ caption=”Account Creation” type=”image” alt=”02-Account Creation.png” ]
If not, go to: (Menu) -> Account Setup -> then click the Add button.
- Add a name to your new Psi+ account, example: email@example.com. Leave the “Register new account” unchecked. Then click the Add button
- On the Account Properties do the following:
[pe2-image src=”https://lh3.ggpht.com/-RkrTApRZqzU/TlDfw8FXbjI/AAAAAAAAAT4/Rrf5SEU77yY/s144-o/03-Account%252520Creation.png” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/112707134052414816964/Labox#5643256364950580786″ caption=”Account Creation” type=”image” alt=”03-Account Creation.png” ]
- Put your Google (usually Gmail) account in the Jabber ID field
- Enter your password in the password field
- Ignore the checkboxes under the “Settings” section unless you plan on using Psi+ after the setup
- Go to the “Connection” tab and do the following:
[pe2-image src=”https://lh3.ggpht.com/-oASeQN9g8_g/TlDfwn0EZZI/AAAAAAAAAT4/eRdDimho0Vk/s144-o/04-Account%252520Creation.png” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/112707134052414816964/Labox#5643256359509321106″ caption=”Account Creation” type=”image” alt=”04-Account Creation.png” ]
- Check the “Compress traffic (if possible)” checkbox
- Check the “Send “keep-alive” packets (to prevent timeouts)” checkbox
- Choose Always in the “Encrypt connection” drop-down box
- Uncheck the “Probe legacy SSL port” checkbox
- Choose Over encrypted connection in the “Allow plaintext authentication” drop-down box
- Click the Save button
- Go online
Adding Your Messenger Accounts
It’s time to get dirty…
- In your client, you’ll see the Psi+ Account you added earlier. Right-click on it and click “Service Discovery”. Google does not provide its own XMPP/Jabber services so just ignore the error that pops-out.
[pe2-image src=”https://lh6.ggpht.com/-uYAH2_Kk1N0/TlDfygczosI/AAAAAAAAAT4/rbP1htW-sNY/s144-o/05-Account%252520Creation.png” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/112707134052414816964/Labox#5643256391892443842″ caption=”Account Creation” type=”image” alt=”05-Account Creation.png” ]
- On the Address field, enter: jabber.hot-chilli.net and then click the Browse button. A list of XMPP/Jabber services will show, wait for it to finish loading.
[pe2-image src=”https://lh3.ggpht.com/-FJlg9AnU7SY/TlDfy803oqI/AAAAAAAAAT4/B0onKiFyRRs/s144-o/06-Transport%252520Registration.png” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/112707134052414816964/Labox#5643256399509562018″ caption=”Transport Registration” type=”image” alt=”06-Transport Registration.png” ]
- Look for your Instant Messenger service (for example Yahoo Messenger), right-click it and choose Register.
[pe2-image src=”https://lh4.ggpht.com/-lU_176pZWA0/TlDfz4KYeMI/AAAAAAAAAT4/iHva02Wu5t4/s144-o/07-Transport%252520Registration.png” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/112707134052414816964/Labox#5643256415437486274″ caption=”Transport Registration” type=”image” alt=”07-Transport Registration.png” ]
- Enter your Messenger username and password; choose English as your language of choice; and enter “utf8” in the Encoding field.
- Click the Register button
- Repeat Steps 3 to 6 to add your other Instant Messenger networks
By now you should see your messenger contacts appearing on your Psi+ client.
Now this is the tricky part – you have to approve all of your contacts one-by-one as they get added if the dialogue shows up while you are using Psi+. Then you have to login to your Gmail and/or Google+ and wait until you see another batch of “approve/authorize” requests. Again, just accept it all.
If nothing shows up, just keep on using your Gmail and/or Google+ as you normally would. Eventually the request approve/authorize will show up on Google’s services (not Psi+). If after so many log-outs and log-ins and still nothing, try to chat with your contacts and see if they can see you online and you can see them online (and you can communicate with them in the first place).
Facebook, can I add it too?
Yes you can. But I do not recommend adding your Facebook account on your Google/Gmail chat especially if you have hundreds of FB contacts. Don’t even try to do it unless you are prepared to spend time cleaning up your contact list if later you decide to detach your FB with your Google/Gmail chat.
[How-To] Chat With Your Messenger Buddies via Google+ & Gmail by Yuki is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at Legal Notice.